Modern Age Dentistry
Dentist located in West Hills, CA & Ojai, CA
Millions of Americans suffer from tooth loss caused by injury, decay, or disease. For many years, the only option to replace missing teeth were dentures or bridges. Now, dental implants are available as a permanent option to preserve beautiful smiles. Implants have a 98% success rate and when successful, they never need to be replaced. Dr. Alistair Saeghi, DDS, at Modern Age Dentistry with serving patients in Atwater Village, Los Angeles, West Hills, Canoga Park, Ojai, Oak View, Los Feliz, Woodland Hills, and Calabasas, California, and specializes in creating implants for patients of all ages. Call today to see if you are a candidate for dental implants.
Dental Implants Q & A
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are essentially new roots for your teeth. They are designed to secure either removable or permanent teeth in place. Prior to dental implants, missing teeth were replaced with either bridges or dentures. They are both often a good option for many patients. But for patients who want a more permanent solution, dental implants are a good choice.
Patients considering permanent dental implants should have good oral hygiene. Because dental implants are considered oral surgery, patients should be healthy enough to undergo the procedure. Dental implant patients also need to have enough bone and healthy gums to support the implant.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Many patients choose dental implants over other non-permanent options like dentures because:
- They are more comfortable because they don’t shift or slide
- They don’t alter your speech at all because they don’t move
- They allow you to eat anything you want
- They last longer than dentures that often have to be repaired or replaced
- They are more convenient and never need to be removed
- They allow surrounding teeth to remain intact
- They can improve your smile because they offer a natural appearance
- They look and feel like your real teeth
What is the dental implant process?
Prior to beginning the implant process, Dr. Saeghi decides on a customized treatment plan for you. Dental implants happen in stages over weeks or months.
- Dr. Saeghi first installs a small titanium post into the bone socket of your missing tooth. This is called the root implant.
- Over the next month or two, as the jaw heals, it begins to surround the root implant.
- Once the jaw heals around the metal root implant, Dr. Saeghi attaches a tiny post called an abutment to the root implant. The abutment will hold the new tooth securely in place.
- At some point in the process, Dr. Saeghi and his team create a model of your bite, which is used to recreate the new teeth.
- The replacement tooth or teeth are then attached to the abutment. The new teeth are called a crown. These new teeth are designed to blend in naturally with the rest of your smile and feel like real teeth. As an alternative to crowns, some patients opt to attach a removable denture to their implant.
If you prefer, Dr. Saeghi can use general anesthesia during the dental implant procedure to ensure you feel no discomfort. You will care for your new implant just as you would real teeth - brushing, flossing, mouthwash, and scheduling regular check-ups. To learn more about dental implants, call Modern Age Dentistry or inquire online.