Modern Age Dentistry
Dentist located in West Hills, CA & Ojai, CA
For patients who are unhappy with their smile, dental crowns are an easy way to cover a multitude of flaws. Though crowns are available in many different materials, Dr. Alistair Saeghi often uses ceramic crowns because of their natural appearance and durability. Ceramic crowns are one of the most common procedures Dr. Saeghi performs on patients at Modern Age Dentistry. In most cases, he can provide them in a single visit. Modern Age Dentistry is conveniently serving patients in Atwater Village, Los Angeles, West Hills, Canoga Park, Ojai, Oak View, Los Feliz, Woodland Hills, and Calabasas, California. Schedule an appointment today to see if crowns are the best way to brighten your smile.
Ceramic Crowns Q & A
What are crowns used for?
Ceramic crowns are one of the most common dental procedures available. They are used:
- To cover discolored or misshapen teeth
- To hold a cracked tooth together
- To protect a tooth weakened by decay
- To rebuild a worn or broken tooth
- To reinforce a tooth with a large filling
- To secure a dental bridge
- To cover an implant
- To improve the smile cosmetically
What can I expect when getting a crown?
First, Dr. Saeghi performs an oral exam and x-rays to make sure the tooth receiving the crown is free of decay and the tooth roots and surrounding bone are sound enough to support a crown. If he does see extensive decay or feels there is a risk of infection, he will first perform a root canal.
Next, he will numb your tooth and the tissue around it. Once the area is numb, your tooth is filed down to make room for the crown. In teeth with gaps or holes from damage or decay, the tooth is filled until it is large enough for the crown to fit.
He then makes an impression of your rebuilt tooth and as the tooth above or below it.The crown is made from those impressions.
If you have scheduled more than one visit, he will provide a temporary crown to cover the tooth until you return. However, Modern Age Dentistry offers ceramic crowns in a single visit whenever possible.
When you are ready for your permanent crown, Dr. Saeghi again numbs the area before cementing it in place. Finally, he examines you thoroughly to make sure the crown fit and bite are comfortable, and that you are happy with its appearance.
What are the benefits of ceramic crowns?
Dr. Saeghi prefers ceramic crowns when possible for several reasons:
- Beauty: Ceramic crowns are easy to match to the color and appearance of surrounding teeth. They maintain a natural appearance as the line between the original tooth and the crown is seamless.
- Fit: Because ceramic crowns provide such an airtight fit around the damaged tooth, they protect it from further decay.
- Function: Ceramic crowns function just like real teeth. Where you may have stopped chewing on a damaged tooth because it was sensitive or painful, crowns restore full use of your tooth.
- Same day service: At Modern Age Dentistry, our state of the art crown-making unit allows Dr. Saeghi to create custom, permanent crowns in one visit. To see if you are a candidate for same-day crowns, call any of our Los Angeles-area locations.
The practice makes its own crowns in office during one single visit. Feel free to see a quick clip of our milling machine below.